Friday, February 17, 2012

First Post :)

Hello fellow bloggers and interested readers! I am a college student wrapping up my senior year and looking forward to graduating with a B.S. in Kinesiology concentrating in Exercise Science. Fitness is my passion. Being fit and healthy has always been an emphasis in my life, but it was not until college that I realized the true meaning and value of those two things. It used to be all about losing weight to be skinny for me, but more recently I have accepted my body for what it is and thrown out the image of the cookie cutter society says all girls should look like. My body has curves and I am going to love them for what they are and flaunt what I got. As everyone does, my fitness has its highs and plateaus.  My reason for starting this blog is to help inspire me to keep pursuing my fitness goals. I have heard from many people that blogging about things really helps them, so I figured I would give it a shot!

This past week I started up at a workout boot camp which is at 5:30am Mon-Fri...I have always been considered crazy by my friends for my habits when it comes to exercising, but this took my craziness to a whole new level! Being in college already implies less sleep and throwing in this boot camp has been the cherry on top of that, but it is paying off. I was very hesitant to start something like this because it has always intimidated me due to the intensity, plus I was not very fond of the thought of having someone yell at me. With relief, I am able to say that there is no one yelling at me and that I have much more potential than I give myself credit for. It is amazing what one can accomplish with the right kind of mindset and support from friends or fellow fitness freaks!  After one week of boot camp my body feels amazing, extremely sore, but I love it. Yesterday I put on a pair of jeans that normally fit me just right, but for one of the firs times in my life they were saggy on my butt and in my thighs. (my butt is rather large in proportion to my waist). It was such a great feeling to already see that kind of difference because I have been at a plateau for so long. Today was our first bench marker test which we will also take at the end of camp to see how we have improved over the weeks. The test consisted of: 3/4 mile run, 100 push-ups, 100 bi-flys, 100 power curls, 100 jump squats, 50 burpees, 50 tricep extensions, and 3/4 mile run to finish it off.  I was pretty happy when my time came to be 34:10 minutes and the top time of camp this morning was around 29 minutes. Something I found helpful today in succeeding this test was to kick out any negative thought that began to enter my mind. I repeated several positive statements to myself and encouraged my body to keep going. "Your body hears everything that your mind says," one of my favorite fitness quotes. 



I have been through many struggles surrounding my body over the years. There was a period of time in life when I suffered from EDNOS (eating disorder not otherwise specified), but every day I look in the mirror now I tell myself how strong I am, not only physically but emotionally and mentally. Nothing beats a happy person with a positive outlook, no one wants to be around the negative Nancy. You are only as strong as  you allow yourself to be, so once we all stop putting limits on our own abilities we can exceed even our greatest expectations.



No comments:

Post a Comment